    SubjectRe: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driver because of worrying about possible misusage?
    On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM, HoP <> wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    > I need to warn you that my mail is a bit little longer then I would like
    > to be.But I'm not able to ask my question without some
    > background information.
    > On June 19th, I was sending the driver to the Linux-media
    > mailing list. Original announcement is there:
    > One would say that the code describes very well what it does = adds
    > virtual DVB device. To be more clear on it I have even done some
    > small picture:
    > I was hoping to get any feedback regarding code implementation.
    > It was my first code for the kernel and I felt very well that some
    > part can be done better or even simpler.
    > What really surprised me badly was that when I read all 54 responses
    > I have counted only two real technical answers!!! All rest were about
    > POLITICAL issues - code was NACKed w/o any technical discussion.
    > Because of fear of possible abusing of driver.
    > I didn't know that there existed very big movement against such
    > code in dvb-core subsystem before.
    > I have one big problem with it. I can even imagine that some "bad guys"
    > could abuse virtual driver to use it for distribution close-source drivers
    > in the binary blobs. But is it that - worrying about bad boys abusing -
    > the sufficient reason for such aggressive NACK which I did? Then would
    > be better to remove loadable module API fully from kernel. Is it the right way?
    > Please confirm me that worrying about abusive act is enough to NACK
    > particular driver. Then I may be definitely understand I'm doing something
    > wrong and will stay (with such enemy driver) out of tree.
    > I can't understand that because I see very similar drivers in kernel for ages
    > (nbd, or even more similar is usbip) and seems they don't hamper to anybody.
    > I would like to note that I don't want to start any flame-war, so very short
    > answer would be enough for me.
    > Regards
    > Honza
    > PS: Please be so kind and CC the answer/comment to me, I'm
    > only on linux-media ML, not on linux-kernel ML. Thanks.
    > BTW, if accidentally, somebody find it interesting and would like to
    > help me doing code review, there is the code hosted now:

    I, for one, would love to see your virtual DVB device driver hosted in
    a repository for the purposes of experimentation and additional
    development. I can think of many, many good uses for such a virtual
    device driver. Unfortunately, however, all the device vendors also
    have uses for it. It a guarunteed fact that if a driver like that got
    merged into the kernel, any software company that previously sponsored
    open-source kernel development would opt instead for closed source
    userspace drivers that depend on a virtual DVB device.

    Please don't let that discourage you -- I think you should continue
    your work on this virtual DVB device driver, and I'd love to play with
    it myself, and possibly even contribute to it. ...but I will never
    support the merging of this into the kernel.

    I do not nack the existence of the driver -- I love the idea, and I
    encourage more development. I only nack it's merging into any
    open-source linux kernel.

    Please accept my answer with the greatest intentions for furthering
    the development of the open-source community. My opinion is only for
    the best intentions of continued contributions from companies such as
    Hauppauge and any others that have contributed thus far to v4l/dvb.

    Please, keep up the work. I repeat -- I would love to play with your work.

    Best regards,

    Mike Krufky

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-11-30 22:55    [W:0.047 / U:0.032 seconds]