SubjectRe: Perhaps a side effect regarding NMI returns
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Steven Rostedt <> wrote:
> Note, the reason that I've been looking at this code, is because I'm
> looking at implementing your idea to handle irets in NMIs, caused by
> faults, exceptions, and the reason I really care about: debugging.
> Your proposal is here:

Ahh, good that you pointed to it, I'd completely forgotten about this one.

Yeah. Simplifying NMI and not mixing up the paranoid stuff sounds like
a good idea, and then if we do the nice NMI counting thing and avoid
the whole problem with NMI and iret, that would be a nice cleanup in

So if that patch I posted works for you (with some NMI-heavy workload
like non-PEBS tracing) I think it's the way to go.

Too late for 3.2 obviously, since I don't think anybody has actually
reported the "delayed NMI's" as a real problem - so even if it's a
bug, it's not a bug we should try to fix at this stage.