    SubjectRe: Perhaps a side effect regarding NMI returns
    On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Steven Rostedt <> wrote:
    > Note, the reason that I've been looking at this code, is because I'm
    > looking at implementing your idea to handle irets in NMIs, caused by
    > faults, exceptions, and the reason I really care about: debugging.
    > Your proposal is here:

    Ahh, good that you pointed to it, I'd completely forgotten about this one.

    Yeah. Simplifying NMI and not mixing up the paranoid stuff sounds like
    a good idea, and then if we do the nice NMI counting thing and avoid
    the whole problem with NMI and iret, that would be a nice cleanup in

    So if that patch I posted works for you (with some NMI-heavy workload
    like non-PEBS tracing) I think it's the way to go.

    Too late for 3.2 obviously, since I don't think anybody has actually
    reported the "delayed NMI's" as a real problem - so even if it's a
    bug, it's not a bug we should try to fix at this stage.

      Last update: 2011-11-29 22:07    [W:0.021 / U:42.240 seconds]