SubjectRe: extra large DMA buffer for PCI-E device under UIO
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:40:40PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 06:54:02PM +0100, Hans J. Koch wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 07:37:23PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > You should probably write a proper kernel driver, not a UIO one.
> > > your kernel driver would have to prevent the device fom DMA into memory
> > > outside the allocated range, even if userspace is malicious.
> > > That's why UIO is generally not recommended for PCI devices that do DMA.
> >
> > When UIO was designed, the main goal was the ability to handle interrupts
> > from userspace. There was no requirement for DMA. In fact, in five years I
> > didn't get one real world device on my desk that needed it. That doesn't
> > mean there are no such devices. Adding DMA support to the UIO core was
> > discussed several times but noone ever did it. Ideas are still welcome...
> >
> > If parts of the driver should be in userspace, you should really try
> > to extend the UIO core instead of re-implementing UIO functionality in
> > a "proper kernel driver".
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hans
>
> Right, I really meant put all of the driver in the kernel.
> If parts are in userspace, and device can do DMA,
> you are faced with the problem as userspace suddenly
> can access arbitrary memory through the device.

That's nothing UIO specific. You have the same problem with /dev/mem
or graphic cards. If you're root, you can do lots of things that can
compromise security or crash your system.

Thanks,
Hans

  Last update: 2011-11-22 19:55    [W:0.358 / U:0.008 seconds]