SubjectRe: extra large DMA buffer for PCI-E device under UIO
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:54:22AM -0500, Jean-Francois Dagenais wrote:
> That is quite interesting. It really seems like my VT-d recipe to create 128MB for my PCI-e
> FPGA to write into is covered by this patch.
>
> My problem is that our FPGA is connected to one of the atom E6XX's PCI-e links, so no
> iommu :( Since our first product had VT-d, the FPGA, uio based module and userspace
> code is designed such that the device sees a huge contiguous memory chunk. This is key
> to the performance of the FPGA, which is essentially decoupled from the CPU for it's real-time
> acquisition.

Is it really key? If you supported, ohidon'tknow, 2MB pages, you'd
need 64 entries in the FPGA to store the addresses of those 2MB pages,
which doesn't sound like a huge burden.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans