SubjectRe: Hardware running hot and without the fan
From LKML:

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 05:42:39AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> There seem to be two problems here, one is that the hardware is getting
> WAY too hot, another is that the fan is not turning on when the hardware
> gets too hot.
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux xubuntu 3.1.0-999-generic #201110270406 SMP Thu Oct 27
> 08:07:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I've reported the problem to Ubuntu
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593
> and the suggestion there was to report it upstream.
>
> On the notebook computer, parts become very hot to the touch while
> running Ubuntu, but the fan does not run even after it gets hot. When I
> boot back to OS X, the fan kicks in and runs until the computer returns
> to being cool to the touch. Similar for the desktop, though I must
> follow the temperature with /usr/bin/sensors.
>
> The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1
>
> What metrics do I need to collect to help fix the problem? I've already
> reported the problem to Ubuntu[2] and the recommendation was to try
> reporting upstream.
>
> Please CC me in the replies.
> /Lars
>
> [1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
>
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593

I see
applesmc: : read arg fail
in the dmesg log. No idea what that means. Maybe the driver maintainer
or someone else on the lm-sensors mailing list can help.

Not sure I understand your comment about having to follow the output of the
sensors command. Can you clarify ? Also, do you get any output from the sensors
command on the notebook ?

Thanks,
Guenter