    SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)
    On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Junio C Hamano <> wrote:
    > You keep saying cut-and-paste, but do you mind feeding the e-mail text
    > itself to a tool, instead of cut-and-paste?

    Feeding the email to a tool is actually a fair amount of extra work.
    It would have worked well in the days when I used text-based email
    clients that just had a "pipe email to command" model, but that's long

    In contrast, cut-and-paste to another program is easy - but then you
    really can't depend on whitespace or headers or other subtle things.

    > A respond-to-request-pull wrapper you would use could be:
    >  - Get the e-mail from the standard input;
    >  - Pick up the signed bits and validate the signature;
    >  - Perform the requested fetch; and
    >  - Record the merge (or prepare .git/MERGE_MSG) with both the signed bits.

    So is there any reason this couldn't be cut-and-paste? Make the signed
    part small (*not* including diffstat and shortlog), and make it
    whitespace-safe, and I wouldn't mind a tool at all.

    If it *can* take the whole email, that would probably be a good design
    (so that a "pipe email to command" model would still work), but it
    would be much better if it doesn't require it.

    > and the "signed bits" could include:
    >   - the repository and the branch you were expected to pull;
    >   - the topic description.
    > among other things the requestor can edit when request-pull message is
    > prepared.

    One thing I'd like is that it would also fire up an editor for the
    merge, even if it gets the topic description from the email or
    cut-and-paste. I often want to fix up peoples grammar etc. That's a
    separate argument for trying to keep the signed part minimal - because
    I really don't want to have to maintain spelin errors just because
    they are part of what was signed..

      Last update: 2011-11-03 00:45    [W:0.047 / U:30.020 seconds]