SubjectRE: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)
> From: Avi Kivity [mailto:avi@redhat.com]
> Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)
>
> On 11/02/2011 06:02 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Hi Avi,
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 05:44:50PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > > If you look at cleancache, then it addresses this concern - it extends
> > > pagecache through host memory. When dropping a page from the tail of
> > > the LRU it first goes into tmem, and when reading in a page from disk
> > > you first try to read it from tmem. However in many workloads,
> > > cleancache is actually detrimental. If you have a lot of cache misses,
> > > then every one of them causes a pointless vmexit; considering that
> > > servers today can chew hundreds of megabytes per second, this adds up.
> > > On the other side, if you have a use-once workload, then every page that
> > > falls of the tail of the LRU causes a vmexit and a pointless page copy.
> >
> > I also think it's bad design for Virt usage, but hey, without this
> > they can't even run with cache=writeback/writethrough and they're
> > forced to cache=off, and then they claim specvirt is marketing, so for
> > Xen it's better than nothing I guess.
>
> Surely Xen can use the pagecache, it uses Linux for I/O just like kvm.
>
> > I'm trying right now to evaluate it as a pure zcache host side
> > optimization.
>
> zcache style usage is fine. It's purely internal so no ABI constraints,
> and no hypercalls either. It's still synchronous though so RAMster like
> approaches will not work well.

Still experimental, but only the initial local put must be synchronous.
RAMster uses a separate thread to "remotify" pre-compressed pages.
The "get" still needs to be synchronous, but (if I ever have time to
get back to coding it) I've got some ideas on how to fix that. If
I manage to get that working, perhaps it could be used for Andrea's
write-precompressed-zcache-pages-to-disk.

Dan

  Last update: 2011-11-02 21:29    [W:0.253 / U:0.188 seconds]