SubjectRe: A Plumber’ s Wish List for Linux
On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:17:02AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> * CPU modaliases in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/modalias:
> useful to allow module auto-loading of e.g. cpufreq drivers and KVM
> modules. Andy Kleen has a patch to create the alias file itself. CPU
> ‘struct sysdev’ needs to be converted to ‘struct device’ and a ‘struct
> bus_type cpu’ needs to be introduced to allow proper CPU coldplug event
> replay at bootup. This is one of the last remaining places where
> automatic hardware-triggered module auto-loading is not available. And
> we’d like to see that fix to make numerous ugly userspace work-arounds
> to achieve the same go away.

I need to get off my ass and fix this properly, now that Rafael has done
all of the hard work for sysdev already. Thanks for reminding me.

> * export ‘struct device_type fb/fbcon’ of ‘struct class graphics’
> Userspace wants to easily distinguish ‘fb’ and ‘fbcon’ from each other
> without the need to match on the device name.

Can't we just export a "type" file for the device for these devices?
Is it really just that simple?

> * module-init-tools: provide a proper libmodprobe.so from
> module-init-tools:
> Early boot tools, installers, driver install disks want to access
> information about available modules to optimize bootup handling.

What information do they want to know?

> * allow user xattrs to be set on files in the cgroupfs (and maybe
> procfs?)

This shouldn't be that difficult, right?

Thanks for the list, much appreciated.

greg k-h