SubjectRe: [Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:00:38PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:52:17 EDT, Vivek Goyal said:
>
> > I am assuming that basic MCE error messages are available in kernel log.
>
> They're not in the kernel log if it's an MCE that causes the kernel to declare
> a panic. There's some MCE's that you can retry the operation and continue, and
> some that you can get away with poisoning a page, killing the process, and rest
> of the system is OK. But some you really need to roll over and die because you
> can't guarantee kernel integrity anymore.
>
> And at that point, those messages are never gonna make it to syslogd and onto
> disk.

Actually I meant that these messages should have made into kernel log
buffer and not on disk. And user space has capability to just extract
kernel log buffer by looking at /proc/vmcore.

Thanks
Vivek

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans