    SubjectRe: [Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump
    On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:00:38PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:52:17 EDT, Vivek Goyal said:
    >
    > > I am assuming that basic MCE error messages are available in kernel log.
    >
    > They're not in the kernel log if it's an MCE that causes the kernel to declare
    > a panic. There's some MCE's that you can retry the operation and continue, and
    > some that you can get away with poisoning a page, killing the process, and rest
    > of the system is OK. But some you really need to roll over and die because you
    > can't guarantee kernel integrity anymore.
    >
    > And at that point, those messages are never gonna make it to syslogd and onto
    > disk.

    AFAICT, and for the sake of getting the MCE info, arguably one could
    look for log_buf in the vmcore of the old kernel and try to find the
    last lines in the kernel log ringbuffer. They should be the MCE error
    information from the do_machine_check MCE handler.

    This all assuming of course we've managed to dump vmcore successfully by
    sidestepping the landmines :-).

    --
    Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

      Last update: 2011-10-05 18:19    [W:0.022 / U:1.412 seconds]