    SubjectRe: big picture UDP/IP performance question re 2.6.18 -> 2.6.32
    At 03:22 PM 10/5/2011 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    >On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 14:16 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    >I suppose all this testing and feedback we receive
    >from you really helps us keep the performance
    >levels you want.. Oh wait, that's 0.

    Well I have to admit that I've looked into the
    future (i.e. tested releases) only on
    occasion. To the extent that performance wasn't
    looking great I harbored an apparently over
    optimistic hope that things would get tuned/fixed
    in the process somewhere. In particular I was
    thinking that RH might do something impressive
    with RHEL 6 where Novell failed with SLES 11.
    However, if anything the downstream is fiddling
    less and less with the kernel as it becomes ever
    more complex.

    >Clearly none of the tests being ran on a regular
    >basis, by for instance the Intel regression team,
    >covers your needs. Start by fixing that.

    I could create a test case. It's quite a lot more
    than trivial, but not ridiculous either. That UDP
    is broken on everything past 2.6.27 may goad me
    into the effort. Have had a fairly excellent
    experience WRT the hugepage kernel corruption bugs
    I reported 18 months or so ago. Not only did the
    kernel developers fix them, the fixes made it
    downstream into RHEL fairly quickly. So that does
    encourage me.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-05 17:25    [W:0.020 / U:0.064 seconds]