    SubjectRe: kernel.org status: establishing a PGP web of trust
    On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 04:50:37PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Since the kernel.org status announcement last week a number of you
    > have contacted me about re-establishing credentials. In order to
    > establish a proper PGP web of trust we need keys that are cross-signed
    > by other developers. As such, we ask that you follow the following
    > steps:
    > 5. Get as many other kernel developers that you have physical access to
    > to sign your key after verifying the fingerprint. Verifying keys
    > over the phone is OK if and only if you know them *extremely* well;
    > think "would I be willing to testify in court that the person I
    > talked to was X"?
    >
    > If you work in an office with multiple other Linux developers, it
    > would be a very good thing to organize a local key signing. We will
    > do a key signing at Kernel Summit for the core kernel developers.
    >
    > A web site with recommendations for running a key signing:
    >

    > http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html
    >
    > $ gpg --fingerprint <key ID>
    > $ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key <their key ID>
    > $ gpg -u <your key ID> --sign-key <their key ID>
    > $ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --send-key <their key ID>
    > $ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key <your key ID>
    >
    > 6. Please send me the key identifier and fingerprint to
    > <keys@zytor.com>. This is a temporary address until the kernel.org
    > MX is ready to put back online; eventually we will probably have a
    > web form interface for this.

    What are the exact technical requirements for key acceptance?

    "as many other kernel developers" is quite vague, starting with the fact
    that there is not a clear definition of "kernel developer"...

    > -hpa

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2011-10-03 19:53    [W:4.063 / U:0.004 seconds]