    SubjectRE: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)

    Yes, it would have been nice to have it go through the -mm tree.
    But, *sigh*, I guess it will be up to Linus again to decide if
    "didn't seem to like it" is sufficient to block functionality
    that has found use by a number of in-kernel users and by
    real shipping products... and continues to grow in usefulness.

    If Linux truly subscribes to the "code rules" mantra, no core
    VM developer has proposed anything -- even a design, let alone
    working code -- that comes close to providing the functionality
    and flexibility that frontswap (and cleancache) provides, and
    frontswap provides it with a very VERY small impact on existing
    kernel code AND has been posted and working for 2+ years.
    (And during that 2+ years, excellent feedback has improved the
    "kernel-ness" of the code, but NONE of the core frontswap
    design/hooks have changed... because frontswap _just works_!)

    Perhaps other frontswap users would be so kind as to reply
    on this thread with their opinions...

    Dan

      Last update: 2011-10-27 23:51    [W:0.025 / U:147.340 seconds]