SubjectRE: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)

Yes, it would have been nice to have it go through the -mm tree.
But, *sigh*, I guess it will be up to Linus again to decide if
"didn't seem to like it" is sufficient to block functionality
that has found use by a number of in-kernel users and by
real shipping products... and continues to grow in usefulness.

If Linux truly subscribes to the "code rules" mantra, no core
VM developer has proposed anything -- even a design, let alone
working code -- that comes close to providing the functionality
and flexibility that frontswap (and cleancache) provides, and
frontswap provides it with a very VERY small impact on existing
kernel code AND has been posted and working for 2+ years.
(And during that 2+ years, excellent feedback has improved the
"kernel-ness" of the code, but NONE of the core frontswap
design/hooks have changed... because frontswap _just works_!)

Perhaps other frontswap users would be so kind as to reply
on this thread with their opinions...

Dan

  Last update: 2011-10-27 23:51    [W:0.176 / U:1.140 seconds]