    Subjectx86/Kconfig: where to place a new chipset

    I'm currently working on a PCIe chipset (or IO-Hub), called STA2X11.
    The device hosts a number of peripherals (sata, ether, spi, uart, ...)
    and a DMA controller. The individual PCI functions can't be enabled
    by themselves, as chip support must be activated first. This is both
    because some internal mappings must be setup and because internal
    device functions rely on the internal DMA engine. Actually, an
    instance of swiotlb is being used.

    While I'm sure core code should be in arch/x86/platform (and there is
    where I placed the initialization code), I'm wondering where should
    the device fall in the Kconfig tree. I tend to put it in the
    X86_32_NON_STANDARD stanza, even if the resulting kernel will also
    work on standard computers (the "SGI Visual Workstation" config option
    does the same).

    On the other hand, the device can either be the core chipset (main use
    case) or it can be plugged on a PCIe board.

    Any suggestion is welcome about Kconfig placement. Being a "vi
    .config" and "make oldconfig" kind of guy, I can't really understand
    the manu layout, so I'm finding a hard time in making a sensible

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-27 03:43    [W:0.018 / U:7.196 seconds]