SubjectRe: linux-next failure on tegra due to conflicts between PPI and irq domain patches and irq.h->module.h include removal
From
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Paul Gortmaker
<paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 11-10-25 06:01 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Rob Herring <robherring2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Olof,

>>> I fixed this and sent a pull request yesterday to Arnd.
>>
>> Ah, oops, forgot to check for already-posted-patches. :) Excellent.

>>> THIS_MODULE is needed by irq.h itself in irq_alloc_descs, so it probably
>>> needs to be added back.
>>
>> Well, the new export.h that defines THIS_MODULE probably needs to be
>> added to irq.h, yes.
>
> No.  The whole point of the commit was to avoid nested includes
> as per the commit log:
>
>    Also convert the irq_alloc_descs variants to macros, since all
>    they really do is is call the __irq_alloc_descs primitive.
>    This avoids including export.h and no debug info is lost.
>
> If your file is relating to modular usage such that it is a modular
> provider of interrupt sources and hence uses "THIS_MODULE", then it
> will need export.h in the future. And that macro has nothing whatsoever
> to do with any irq defines; it is used all over the kernel to tie
> structures back to a (possibly modular) code block, just as per the
> use case here in irq.h is.

I strongly disagree.

Why should I have to include export.h to a file that is not ever going
to be built as a module just because I need to include irq.h? That's
nonsense. If irq.h needs it, it should include it on its own.

-Olof