    SubjectRe: tarball/patch signature files
    On 10/25/2011 06:31 AM, Kyle Moffett wrote:
    > Unfortunately, while there are "pristine-gz" and "pristine-bz2" tools,
    > there has not yet been developed a "pristine-xz" tool:
    > So it's not yet reasonably possible for the archive, but
    > sometime in the future it might become so.

    There are a lot of strong reasons to NOT do so, however.

    Any time we have something signed by a developer, we have something that
    is precious and cannot be replicated by staff.

    Any time we have something signed by a robot, we have something that
    people *will* misinterpret as having security properties that they don't
    -- this has unfortunately been amply shown.

    Compression formats evolve over time; right now we're concerned with gz,
    bz2, and xz, but xz is brand new here and there may very well be new
    things in the future.

    It would be a very good thing for people to develop tools to run
    compressors and decompressors in locked-down boxes. It should be
    possible to run these kinds of programs without access to either network
    or filesystem; only read from stdin and out on stdout (and presumably
    stderr for errors.) This would solve problems for much more than just

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-25 10:29    [W:0.022 / U:39.080 seconds]