SubjectRe: [BUG] Re: mtd_stresstest module bricked my dockstar
> > Anyway - what would people think if linux had a kernel module  which wipes
> > /dev/sda1 when loaded ? :)

Yeah, the tests are destructive and they start erasing and torturing
your MTD device without preserving your data.

And the bad thing is - if you do not pass any parameter, they will
torture your mtd0.

I am sorry that you bricked your device and I hope you will be able to
resurrect it. This was an oversight. The tests were written for
validating new drivers and making sure they are robust. So we always
assumed people run them on a development HW, not on a production HW.
That was a false implicit assumption.

Yes, we should use -1 as the default value, and print a scary warning
message when the module is inserted without a parameter. We should
probably also put word "destructive" or something like this to the
module description.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

  Last update: 2011-10-24 23:07    [W:0.049 / U:0.112 seconds]