    SubjectRe: Vanilla-Kernel 3 - page allocation failure

    Am 19.10.2011 03:58, schrieb David Rientjes:
    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Andi Kleen wrote:
    >
    >> Philipp Herz - Profihost AG<p.herz@profihost.ag> writes:
    >>
    >>> After updating kernel (x86_64) to stable version 3 there are a few
    >>> messages appearing in the kernel log such as
    >>>
    >>> kworker/0:1: page allocation failure: order:1, mode:0x20
    >>> mysql: page allocation failure: order:1, mode:0x20
    >>> php5: page allocation failure: order:1, mode:0x20
    >>
    >> You just ran out of memory.
    >>

    > He ran out of order-1 physically contiguous memory and was unable to
    > compact or reclaim because of the atomic context.
    >
    > Philipp, based on your pastes from another post, it's evident you're using
    > CONFIG_SLAB and, unfortunately, it's not possible to change to single
    > page allocations (which would only result in a page allocation failure if
    > you were completely out of memory) without recompiling.
    >
    > You have a couple options:
    >
    > - recompile with BREAK_GFP_ORDER_HI redefined to 0 in mm/slab.c, or
    >
    > - recompile with CONFIG_SLUB instead of CONFIG_SLAB.
    >
    > It's very possible that neither of these will help, but it will tell you
    > whether you need to go out and buy more RAM or not. If you try to
    > recompile with BREAK_GFP_ORDER_HI, these may turn into order-0
    > allocations. If you can't reboot, send the output of
    > /proc/<pid>/net/protocols where<pid> is the pid of one of the above tasks
    > (kworker, mysql, php5) when they are running and we'll know.
    >
    > [ Changing slab_break_gfp_order should really be a CONFIG_SLAB command-
    > line option. It can't be runtime because slab depends on the order for
    > caches remaining constant, but we can certainly change it on boot. ]
    >
    > If you try CONFIG_SLUB instead of CONFIG_SLAB, you can pass
    > slub_max_order=0 on the command line and see if it helps.

    Hi David,

    we have recompiled the kernel of one machine with CONFIG_SLUB instead of
    CONFIG_SLAB, but it is showing similar message.

    Now it's showing failure at "order:5, mode:0x4020".

    Call trace can be found at:
    * http://pastebin.com/uGJiwvG1

    Comparing kernel 2.6.32 (mm/page_alloc.c) there seams to be the same way
    of dealing with page allocation.

    Do you have an idea why these (warning) messages do never appear running
    2.6.32?

    Regards,
    Philipp

      Last update: 2011-10-24 08:35    [W:0.024 / U:91.536 seconds]