SubjectRe: [BUG] copy file result with zero
On 2011-10-01, at 11:41 PM, Jeff liu wrote:

>>> There is general agreement that /bin/cp should not have been relying
>>> on FIEMAP, and I believe the more recent versions of /bin/cp have
>>> removed that code by default pending implementation of
>>> SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA. That being said, ext4 had a workaround to its
>>> FIEMAP implementation that landed in 2.6.39, and you're using
>>> 3.1.0-rc6.
>
> Actually, upstream cp(1) using FIEMAP only if the source file is sparse, or else, it will do normal copy, i.e, block based.

Are there any distros that are shipping with a version of cp that depends on FIEMAP? That would dramatically increase the severity of this problem, since orders of magnitude more users will hit the problem.

Dave, what distro were you seeing this problem on, and had you installed/upgraded your coreutils and/or kernel yourself?