    SubjectRe: A Plumber’ s Wish List for Linux
    On Wed, 19.10.11 16:09, Paul Menage (paul@paulmenage.org) wrote:

    > On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Lennart Poettering
    > <mzxreary@0pointer.de> wrote:
    > >
    > > For our systemd usecase a cgroup.signal file would not be useful. This
    > > is because we actually kill all members of the service's cgroup plus the
    > > main process of the service, which is usually also in the service's
    > > cgroup but sometimes isn't (for example: when the user logs in, the
    > > whole /sbin/login process ends up in the user's session cgroup, and is
    > > removed from the original service cgroup). Since we want to avoid
    > > killing the main service process twice in the case where it isn't in the
    > > servce cgroup we'd hence prefer to have some fork throttling logic in
    > > place, so that we can kill members flexibly in accordance with these
    > > rules.
    >
    > By fork-throttling, do you just mean "0 or unlimited", or would you
    > actually want some kind of rate-limited throttling? If the former,
    > than I agree with Frederick that his task counter should solve that
    > problem.

    Given that shutting down some services might involve forking off a few
    things (think: a shell script handling shutdown which forks off a couple
    of shell utilities) we'd want something that is between "from now on no
    forking at all" and "unlimited forking". This could be done in many
    different ways: we'd be happy if we could do time-based rate limiting,
    but we'd also be fine with defining a certain budget of additional forks
    a cgroup can do (i.e. "from now on you can do 50 more forks, then you'll
    get EPERM).

    Lennart

    --
    Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

      Last update: 2011-10-20 01:33    [W:5.909 / U:0.088 seconds]