SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 0/7] perf/core fixes and improvements
Em Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 09:14:57AM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
> * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@infradead.org> wrote:
> > The TUI now should be much closer to the old 'perf top' stdio
> > visual/experience, more on that vein in the next pull req.

> Pulled, thanks Arnaldo.
>
> The way the TUI now follows terminal colors is really nice. There's a
> few regressions that sneaked in, and there's also still a few rough
> edges as well:

> - in callq following if i exit a secondary annotation screen via 'q'
> or left-arrow, it does not jump back to the callq line as it did
> earlier.

Oh, I noticed this at some point, but couldn't quickly reproduce as I
was concentrated on something else, but I think its case of using
'continue' versus 'break' when coming back from the nested annotation
browser, so that we don't change the current selection, will check that
now.

> - it's still hard to find all the callq's in the stream of assembly,
> i think it should be highlighted in a minimal fashion.

I'll use a graphic '->', like » or something, have to look at the
libslang docs.

> - the mixed assembly and source code output for annotation now
> became *harder* to follow, that the instruction opcodes are not
> embedded. The reason is that there's now fewer visual patterns
> that set apart the two types of lines.
>
> Not sure what to do about it, but it's not really usable this way,
> to me at least. Color differentiation would certainly help, if
> it's not too intrusive - could assembly be drawn grey? That would
> put it into the 'visual background' on most terminal color
> schemes.

I'll make that configurable so that we can play a bit with it and then
decide on some sane default.

> I tried a few mockup screens of splitting the screen
> intelligently, and found one variant that works pretty well for
> me. The main UI design complication is that the assembly opcodes
> look so C source code-ish when put next to each other.
>
> So this is the original output:
>
> : static u8 kallsyms2elf_type(char type) ▒
> : { ▒
> : if (type == 'W') ▒
> 0.00 : 43fd18: mov %rdx,%rdi ▒
> : struct rb_node **p = &symbols->rb_node; ▒
> : struct rb_node *parent = NULL; ▒
> : const u64 ip = sym->start; ▒
> : struct symbol *s; ▒
> : ▒
> : while (*p != NULL) { ▒
> 0.00 : 43fd1b: mov (%rcx),%rdx ▒
> 0.00 : 43fd1e: test %rdx,%rdx ▒
> 0.00 : 43fd21: jne 43fd08 <map__process_kallsym_symbol+0xc8> ▒
>

> and here's the mockup:
>
> . | static u8 kallsyms2elf_type(char type) ▒
> . | { ▒
> . | if (type == 'W') ▒
> 0.00 # 43fd18: mov %rdx,%rdi ▒
> . | struct rb_node **p = &symbols->rb_node; ▒
> . | struct rb_node *parent = NULL; ▒
> . | const u64 ip = sym->start; ▒
> . | struct symbol *s; ▒
> . | ▒
> . | while (*p != NULL) { ▒
> 0.00 # 43fd1b: mov (%rcx),%rdx ▒
> 0.00 # 43fd1e: test %rdx,%rdx ▒
> 0.00 # 43fd21: jne 43fd08 <map__process_kallsym_symbol+0xc8> ▒
>
> There's several UI tricks:
>
> - typical short opcodes (80% of assembly) will fit on the left side
> of the screen.

right

> - lines can still be arbitrarily long and overlap, so it's not a
> true split screen - but the vertical helper line prefixing source
> code lines keeps the eye focused on whichever side one intends to
> concentrate on.

Ok, I'll play with that.

> - the first column separator uses two types of characters, '.' and
> '#', to help the eye find the blocks of assembly.

> - we could, in addition, print assembly in grey.
>
> - i cut one character from the percentage column - the maximum value
> is 100.00 so we don't need the original 7.2 format, 6.2 is enough.

OK, after the first there was some 8 spaces that came from how it was
done long ago.

> We could eventually further compress the assembly display later on,
> but auto-labeling function-local labels (which are 99% of the jump
> targets). This would compress such jumps:
>
> 0.00 # 43fd21: jne 43fd08 <map__process_kallsym_symbol+0xc8>
>
> into:
>
> 0.00 # 43fd21: jne 43fd08 <L3>

Yeah, this is something definetely in the plans, together with jumping
to labels, etc.