SubjectRE: pinctrl_config APIs, and other pinmux questions
Shawn Guo wrote at Friday, October 14, 2011 9:12 PM:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 08:53:33AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> > Having the driver expose a list of all possible combinations of pin
> > configurations seems impractical, for the same reason as I objected to
> > the original proposal for how the driver listed functions; there are
> > simply far too many pin config parameters and legal value to list the
> > entire set of combinations.
> >
> I did not mean to list the entire set of combinations. For given
> function, the applicable number of config should be very limited.
> For most cases, it could be just one. For imx6q usdhc example, it's
> 3, for 50M, 100M and 200M SD bus clock cases.

Shawn,

Are you talking about entries in the (board-specific) mapping table, which
I agree would contain the useful subset of combinations of options, or a
list of possible settings exposed by the SoC driver, which would have to
expose all possibilities, or they wouldn't be available for the mapping
table to select from?

In the case of "a list of possible settings exposed by the SoC driver",

* If such a list (of combinations) were to exist, I think it'd need to
include all combinations (the cross-product of all individual config
params) in general.

* I can certainly imagine that for some SoCs, or for a particular device
on a SoC, or for a particular board, only a subset of those would be useful,
and hence a limited set would be useful. However, that selection is up to
the board mapping table not the SoC driver in general.

* In Tegra's case at least, I think a number of the numeric values (e.g.
pull strength with range 0..31) may be for board calibration, and besides
that, most combinations of param values would be useful in some case, and
hence we'd always have to expose everything, in order to allow the board
mapping table to be able to pick anything the designer needed.

* As such, I think the SoC driver should at most list the legal range for
each param individually, and let the board-specific mapping table choose
the combination(s) required.

--
nvpublic

  Last update: 2011-10-17 17:55    [W:0.063 / U:0.200 seconds]