SubjectRe: Please revert "debug: Make CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options"

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:21:21PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

> > > Then you would have to remove the dependency on EXPERT from the prompt,
> > > and allow unsetting DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE with EXPERT=n, DEBUG_KERNEL=y.
> > >
> > > Note that this is completely unrelated to the commit we are discussing,
> > > since commit f505c553 has no effect in the EXPERT=n case you are
> > > discussing here.

> > > DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE does not depend on EXPERT.
> > >
> > > But EXPERT is currently required for disabling it.
> >
> > Correct - that's a further variation. In the case of debug options
> > that we *really* don't want normal users to disable we do something
> > like this:
> >
> > config DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE
> > bool "Verbose BUG() reporting (adds 70K)" if DEBUG_KERNEL && EXPERT
> >
> > Commit f505c553 ("debug: Make CONFIG_EXPERT select
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options") allows this line to be
> > further simplified into:
> >
> > bool "Verbose BUG() reporting (adds 70K)" if EXPERT
> >
> > ... but this was not the main purpose of the commit - nor is this
> > simplification strictly necessary.
>
> You do not need commit f505c553 for that, the dependency of this
> prompt on DEBUG_KERNEL should be removed in any case.

An opt-out model is more maintainable here than an opt-in method.
People will get debug dependencies right most of the time - but
getting debug *and* CONFIG_EXPERT interactions right is on the
backburner generally.

So we are better off if CONFIG_EXPERT simply implies (selects)
CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG - makes CONFIG_EXPERT an invariant as far as
debugging features are concerned and reduces/eliminates the trickle
of avoidable CONFIG_EXPERT tweaking patches in lib/Kconfig.debug.

> Why do you want to make life harder for people with EXPERT=y by not
> allowing them to turn this off if they want to?

It's simpler to have one flat CONFIG_EXPERT=y option to gain broad
expert-configurability of core debug functionality of the kernel.

It should arguably not explode the options to *all* drivers of the
kernel:

> When configuring his kernel, a user set MISC_FILESYSTEMS=n.
>
> Now he sets EXPERT=y and runs "make oldconfig".
>
> Why would it make sense that he is now asked for each of these
> filesystems whether he wants to enable it?

I agree with you that filesystems are more like drivers here and
should probably not be selected by CONFIG_EXPERT. It's up to the VFS
folks whether they consider experts to be frequent requestors.
(probably not)

But the important case here is the situation outlined in the
changelog, that a default-y core kernel option such as BUGVERBOSE
unconditionally *adds* code. Core kernel debugging code is an area
that by its nature has and is bound to have such options -
MISC_FILESYSTEMS probably not.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-10-12 10:41    [W:0.063 / U:0.040 seconds]