SubjectRe: kobject_put vs module unload

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Kay Sievers wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 19:01, Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> If you still have data structures hanging around, these structures are
> >> supposed to take a reference on the module -- and you can not unload
> >> the module as long as this is the case.
> >>
> >> Kay
> >
> > kobject references don't increase module reference count. If kobject held
> > module references, it would be a fix for this bug, but could cause other
> > bugs (some modules could be unloadable due to self-references to its own
> > kobjects).
>
> Sure, they don't automatically take references. It's the job of the
> driver/module, to make sure to pin the module for any data of it,
> which might be still in use.
>
> Kay

A module can't unpin itself. If it does, the module can be unloaded
immediatelly after module_put(THIS_MODULE) call and the function that
called module_put crashes.

A module must be unpinned by someone else. The question is: who unpins the
module when kobject references are gone?

Mikulas

  Last update: 2011-01-08 19:53    [W:0.060 / U:0.088 seconds]