SubjectRe: GIT question - am I doing it correctly?
On Thu 06-01-11 18:04:17, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> On 03.01.2011 14:48, Michal Hocko wrote:
> >On Wed 29-12-10 17:23:02, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >
> >Hi,
> >

> >>Everytime I git pull tyhe Linus' sources but before I build I apply
> >>Peter Zijlstra's fixes, Takashi Iwai's sources and Dave Miller's
> >>sources. The sequence is:
> >>
> >># the Linus' sources
> >>git pull
> >>
> >># external sources
> >>git remote add some_name git://some_URL.git
> >>
> >># update
> >>git remote update
> >>
> >>Then configure and I build. I noticed that especially Peter's
> >>git-update very quickly, not as long as they did before.
> >>
> >>Is my procedure correct? I am new to GIT.
> >
> >What do you want to achieve?
>
> I would like to have everything from Linus tree + additions from
> mmotm for example.

Andrew maintains mmotm as a quilt tree AFAIK, though there is some
initiative to have also a git tree which mirrors it
(http://lwn.net/Articles/311677/). Btw. mmotm contains Linus tree (from
certain point of time).

Anyway, you can add what-ever git tree as a new remote. This basically
means that you can fetch commits from that tree into your local git
"database" and checkout out any of them as a branch (please note that if
the remote shares commits with your trees then you commit just the
additional ones).

If you add a remote it doesn't mean that you stack that tree on top of
the original one. It is all just about commits which have their parents
so they form a history (very roughtly). You will find more about remotes
here: http://progit.org/book/ch2-5.html.

--
Michal Hocko
L3 team

  Last update: 2011-01-07 10:21    [W:0.073 / U:0.220 seconds]