    Subject'autogroup' sched code KILLING responsiveness
    Bisecting shows that this commit:

    sched: Add 'autogroup' scheduling feature: automated per session task groups
    Date: Tue Nov 30 14:18:03 2010 +0100

    is the reason that my computer has become unusable.

    With that code in place, a resource-intensive activity (such as
    compiling the Linux kernel) causes my computer to become
    unresponsive for many seconds at a time; the entire screen
    does not refresh, typed keys are dropped or are handled very
    late, etc (even in Linux's plain virtual consoles).

    I'm using a uniprocessor (UP) machine, and I've noticed that such
    codepaths often get clobbered by changes that only make it to SMP
    configurations (I guess kernel hackers have better equipment than
    I do); maybe that has something to do with it.

    I'm a laymen, so all I can do at this time is report my experience;
    if this has already been discussed, I would appeciate a link to
    the right thread.

    Michael Witten

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-01-21 19:23    [W:0.020 / U:39.184 seconds]