SubjectRe: [patch] fs: aio fix rcu lookup
From
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@redhat.com> wrote:
> Nick Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> writes:

>>> So, does this patch fix the problem?  You didn't actually say....
>>
>> No, it seemd to be an NFS AIO problem, although it was a
>> slightly older kernel so I'll re test after -rc1 if I haven't heard
>> back about it.
>
> OK.
>
>> Do you agree with the theoretical problem? I didn't try to
>> write a racer to break it yet. Inserting a delay before the
>> get_ioctx might do the trick.
>
> I'm not convinced, no.  The last reference to the kioctx is always the
> process, released in the exit_aio path, or via sys_io_destroy.  In both
> cases, we cancel all aios, then wait for them all to complete before
> dropping the final reference to the context.

That wouldn't appear to prevent a concurrent thread from doing an
io operation that requires ioctx lookup, and taking the last reference
after the io_cancel thread drops the ref.

> So, while I agree that what you wrote is better, I remain unconvinced of
> it solving a real-world problem.  Feel free to push it in as a cleanup,
> though.

Well I think it has to be technically correct first. If there is indeed a
guaranteed ref somehow, it just needs a comment.