    SubjectRe: Locking in the clk API
    On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 04:03:31PM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
    > Hi Russell,
    > On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 02:53:58PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
    > > We've been around returning EAGAIN, WARN_ONs, BUG_ONs, having clk_enable()
    > > vs clk_enable_atomic(), clk_enable_cansleep() vs clk_enable(), etc.
    > >
    > > There's been a lot of talk on this issue for ages with no real progress
    > > that I'm just going to repeat: let's unify those implementations which
    > > use a spinlock for their clks into one consolidated solution, and
    > > a separate consolidated solution for those which use a mutex.
    > >
    > > This will at least allow us to have _some_ consolidation of the existing
    > > implementations - and it doesn't add anything to the problem at hand.
    > > It might actually help identify what can be done at code level to resolve
    > > this issue.
    > Great, so how should we do it? Take Jeremy's patch and make the
    > differenciation between sleeping and atomic implementation a Kconfig
    > variable?

    No - I've been suggesting for about a week now about doing two entirely
    separate consolidations.

    I think it would be insane to do the consolidation of the two different
    implementations in one patch or even one patch set. There needs to be
    a consolidation of spinlock-based clks as one patch set, which is
    entirely separate and independent from the consolidation of mutex-based

    What if one of the consolidations turns out to be a problem? Do we want
    to throw both out, or do we want to keep as much as we possibly can?

      Last update: 2011-01-15 16:19    [W:0.021 / U:21.344 seconds]