SubjectRe: Important for fs devs: rcu-walk merged upstream
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:

> >> One other thing: I know ECHILD is safe since no sane filesystem will
> >> return it in its permission or revalidate callbacks, and even if it
> >> does that's just a loss of optimization.
> >
> > And it's not entirely safe either.  A fuse filesystem returning ECHILD
> > would make nameidata_dentry_drop_rcu() to BUG.  So some sort of errno
> > filter is necessary in the fuse kernel module.
>
> Surely you'd need some filtering anyway? I don't think any function
> involving path lookup could sanely return -ECHILD.

No, but not filtering doesn't normally hurt. And it's not quite
trivial deciding what should be allowed and what shoudln't, and the
filter would have to be updated for each addition of a new errno. So
I'm not sure I want to go there.

> That said, it probably is a good idea to have a new errno.

Yeah, that makes the fitering much easier.

Thanks,
Miklos