SubjectRe: CONFIG_NLS=m resulting in undefined reference to utf16s_to_utf8s causing build failure

> > drivers/built-in.o: In function `dsm_label_utf16s_to_utf8s':
> > /usr/src/Linux-Next/linux-next/drivers/pci/pci-label.c:195: undefined reference to `utf16s_to_utf8s'
> > make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
> >
> > The drivers/pci/pci-label.c is compiled as part of vmlinux as defined by
> > the makefile drivers/pci/Makefile.
> >
> > #
> > # ACPI Related PCI FW Functions
> > # ACPI _DSM provided firmware instance and string name
> > #
> > obj-$(CONFIG_ACPI) += pci-acpi.o pci-label.o
> >
> > # SMBIOS provided firmware instance and labels
> > obj-$(CONFIG_DMI) += pci-label.o
> >
> > This could be prevented by one of the following methods -
> >
> > * forcing CONFIG_NLS=y if CONFIG_PCI=y
> > * move `utf16s_to_utf8s' out of nls_base.c to a new file to be always
> > built into vmlinux
> >
> > Please correct me if i missed something here and let me know what would be the right
> > way to fix this build failure.
>
> So there's no other ACPI code that depends on this function? I'd hate
> to make PCI depend on NLS, so assuming ACPI doesn't need it (in which
> case the select or depend should be there), I guess it should be pulled
> into a common file that will always be included.

No, nothing in the ACPI code uses utf16s_to_utf8s.

I don't know anything about NLS, but it appears to be
something that file systems (befs, cifs, fat, hfs, isofs, jfs, etc)
use to to support native languages.

BTW. I don't understand why pci-label.o appears twice above.
It used to be just the 2nd one, that depends on CONFIG_DMI.

cheers,
Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center

  Last update: 2011-01-13 04:27    [W:0.151 / U:0.136 seconds]