    SubjectRe: disabling group leader perf_event
    On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM, KOSAKI Motohiro
    <> wrote:
    >> As for the intermediate form, you might want to take a look at Dalvik:
    >> and probably ParrotVM bytecode too. The thing to avoid is stack-based
    >> instructions like in Java bytecode because although it's easy to write
    >> interpreters for them, it makes JIT'ing harder (which needs to convert
    >> stack-based representation to register-based) and probably doesn't
    >> lend itself well to stack-constrained kernel code.
    > (offtopic)
    > Afaik, NetBSD plan to include lua interpreter in kernel. it is optimized embedded environment.
    > (more offtopic)
    > in kernel interpreter is needed some concern. 1) restricted stack size (typical userland VM
    > often use >100K stack size)  2) restrected memory allocation, especially high order allocation
    > often fail. 3) GC often makes unacceptable large lag especially on UP kernel. etc etc
    > So, We can't apply rich interpreter (e.g. Dalvik, Parrrot) so easily. I think. personally I prefer
    > minimum component.

    Yes, we definitely don't want to support memory allocation in the
    first stages (if ever). I didn't mean that we should integrate Dalvik
    or Parriot but that we should look at their _intermediate code_
    ("bytecode") as an example what we could design for the kernel.

      Last update: 2010-09-07 14:17    [W:0.033 / U:7.092 seconds]