    SubjectRe: [tip:perf/urgent] perf, x86: Catch spurious interrupts after disabling counters
    On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Cyrill Gorcunov <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:33:07PM +0200, Stephane Eranian wrote:
    >> Robert,
    >> There is something else bothering me with cpuc->running.
    >> It is not reset outside of the interrupt handler. So what if
    >> event scheduling shuffles things around and an event is
    >> moved somewhere else. Don't you need to clear the
    >> cpuc->running[idx] for the old counter index?
    > Both bitmasks are set and test with same index though it might
    > be a bit obscure scheme (we could be clearing this bit in
    > x86_pmu_stop but it just a wasting cycles).
    But you cannot clear it in x86_pmu_stop() because otherwise it
    turns into active_mask[]. My understanding is that you need
    to remember this counter has been active at some point in the

    My point is that you cannot keep this around forever. After a
    "while" it becomes stale and you have to remove it otherwise
    you may wrongly increment handled.

    Here is a scenario:

    event A -> counter 0, cpuc->running = 0x1 active_mask = 0x1
    move A
    event A -> counter 1, cpuc->running = 0x3, active_mask = 0x2

    No interrupt, we are just counting for a short period.
    Then, you get an NMI interrupt, suppose it is not generated
    by the PMU, it is destined for another handler.

    For i=0, you have (active_mask & 0x1) == 0, but (running & 0x1) == 1,
    you mark the interrupt as handled, i.e., you swallow it, the actual
    handler never gets it.

    > Btw, since x86 architectural and p4 are using same tests for
    > running I presume better to have some helper rather then
    > open coded pile?
    > Cyrill

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-09-29 19:29    [W:0.031 / U:5.480 seconds]