    SubjectRe: Linux
    On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 09:51:35PM +0200, Florian Mickler wrote:
    > I can't comment on the bouncing part, but increased load average is
    > partly bisected down in Bug 16525 (unexpected high load since 2.6.35
    > Bug 16525)[1]. Maybe you are seeing something similiar?

    If you're referring to

    then I have to admit that's very interesting; in fact, I tested my machine
    without X running, and the problem I'm having goes away entirely - loadavg
    quickly settles to 0.00 - and even with *only* a mrxvt terminal running,
    that is to say NO window manager, just mrxvt running, X on and
    later has the wildly bouncy load averages.

    Here's a graphical example of just how wacky this is:

    In this image, the dip down to less than 0.5 after the 18'th is due to me
    experimenting using the slackware distribution kernel ( after I
    finally noticed something was amiss. The sharp rise afterwards is due to me
    first, building, and then afterwards, using it. To be perfectly
    clear, I've previously used and did not experience the problem
    there either, nor is it in

    The majority of time during the last month the machine has sat idle, with
    nothing to do except idle with the screen turned off. Besides building
    kernels, the most difficult task I've asked of it has been websurfing. This
    is not exactly a difficult job for this machine, and hardly would normally
    push the load average up that high for that long.

    Greg, I noticed that in the ChangeLogs for 2.6.35.x there were some patches
    for the intel driver which seem to be to my untrained eye an attempt to fix
    Linus' problem talked about in that bug report; The patch that is referenced
    in the bug report contains some things at least that were not applied to the
    tree; since I have no idea what I'm looking at, could you verify for me if
    I'm barking up the right tree here? If I am, I'll try building a clean
    2.6.35 kernel with that patch applied and see if my problem disappears.

    Anyway, I am now going to start going backwards through 2.6.35.x until I
    discover which version(s) caused my particular issue. Since and
    later have had the problem, and will not compile for me, I'm going
    to first compile and test

    This will probably take some time as the bouncy load averages are
    consistently inconsistent and tend to, much like a watched kettle, not show
    up when I expect them to, then do so immediately when I turn my back. :)

    Thanks for the tip,
    Tim McGrath
      Last update: 2010-09-28 01:43    [W:0.022 / U:29.652 seconds]