    SubjectRe: Linux
    On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:32:08PM -0400, wrote:
    > I'm not exactly sure what's going on here and I'd like some help
    > figuring out what is. For some inexplicable reason, ever since I started
    > using the 2.6.35.x series with the release, my loadaverages tend to
    > bounce anywhere from as low to .2 to 1.5 - constantly, while the machine
    > seems idle.

    But .34 doesn't show this issue?

    If so, can you run 'git bisect' between the .34 and .35 releases to find
    out where the problem comes in?

    > Consistently, there are no programs in D state in ps aux output,
    > no cpu hogging programs running in top, nothing I can see that should
    > explain the bizzarely high load average.

    Loadaverage can be affected by a driver doing an uninteruptable sleep.
    This doesn't actually cause a load on the system, but it does affect the
    way that number is calcuated. Perhaps that's the problem here.

    > If you have any tips or recommendations on what I should use to
    > investigate this further, please let me know. Once I have ensured to my own
    > satisfaction that I'm not doing something bizzare that's screwing up my
    > machine, I'll make a detailed bug report and start on figuring out how to
    > use git bisect.

    'man git-bisect' will help with this :)

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-09-27 20:11    [W:0.019 / U:0.904 seconds]