    SubjectRe: Linux
    	I'm not exactly sure what's going on here and I'd like some help
    figuring out what is. For some inexplicable reason, ever since I started
    using the 2.6.35.x series with the release, my loadaverages tend to
    bounce anywhere from as low to .2 to 1.5 - constantly, while the machine
    seems idle. Consistently, there are no programs in D state in ps aux output,
    no cpu hogging programs running in top, nothing I can see that should
    explain the bizzarely high load average. *Something* is wrong beyond the
    mere loadaverage numbers going crazy however, since timed runs of kernel
    compiles done with my distro's kernel and show that while there is
    no *apparent* use of cpu or disk showing in vmstat while the machine is
    idle, the compiles on the newer kernel are taking approximately twice as
    long as before. Now, while I could try to figure out what patch started the
    problem, I think it would be a better idea for me to make sure I'm looking
    for the actual problem in the right place. Therefore, I know that cpu use,
    disk I/O, and the kernel can drive the load average up. Of these things, cpu
    use and disk I/O are trackable in top/ps output (eg, a process in D state is
    waiting on the disk to do something and can't sleep.) but I don't know if
    there's any easy way to determine if the kernel itself is doing something
    that's driving up the load average. It's perplexing me that I can see the
    loadaverage constantly bouncing about but can't seem to find any reason why
    it is doing so.

    If you have any tips or recommendations on what I should use to
    investigate this further, please let me know. Once I have ensured to my own
    satisfaction that I'm not doing something bizzare that's screwing up my
    machine, I'll make a detailed bug report and start on figuring out how to
    use git bisect.

    Tim McGrath
      Last update: 2010-09-27 20:11    [W:0.024 / U:99.636 seconds]