    SubjectRe: Dynamic Debug module.ddebug fake param enhancements V4
    Date
    On Monday, September 27, 2010 02:25:46 am Thomas Renninger wrote:

    > What do you think (dev_dbg vs printk(KERN_DEBUG...)?

    Well, 99% of the time, what I want is simply the resource usage of all
    the devices in the system. Currently, a dmesg log gives me that for
    PCI devices. I plan to change PNP so the dmesg log will also contain
    that for PNP devices. That's simple and requires no user action at all
    and no extra boots.

    The times when we need more extensive debugging are rare enough that
    I'm not sure it's worth keeping them compiled into the kernel, even
    if they are turned off by default (I understand the tradeoff from
    a distro point of view might be different).

    With the exception of the ones in pnp/resource.c that I want to convert
    to dev_printk(KERN_DEBUG), I think all the pnp_dbg() uses are things
    I used during PNP development and haven't ever needed since.

    Bjorn

      Last update: 2010-09-27 20:11    [W:0.026 / U:32.440 seconds]