SubjectRe: Dynamic Debug module.ddebug fake param enhancements V4
Date
On Monday, September 27, 2010 02:25:46 am Thomas Renninger wrote:

> What do you think (dev_dbg vs printk(KERN_DEBUG...)?

Well, 99% of the time, what I want is simply the resource usage of all
the devices in the system. Currently, a dmesg log gives me that for
PCI devices. I plan to change PNP so the dmesg log will also contain
that for PNP devices. That's simple and requires no user action at all
and no extra boots.

The times when we need more extensive debugging are rare enough that
I'm not sure it's worth keeping them compiled into the kernel, even
if they are turned off by default (I understand the tradeoff from
a distro point of view might be different).

With the exception of the ones in pnp/resource.c that I want to convert
to dev_printk(KERN_DEBUG), I think all the pnp_dbg() uses are things
I used during PNP development and haven't ever needed since.

Bjorn

  Last update: 2010-09-27 20:11    [W:0.081 / U:0.616 seconds]