SubjectRe: x86/hwmon: conditionalize coretemp's dependency on PCI
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 03:08:50AM -0400, Jan Beulich wrote:
[...]

> >> config SENSORS_CORETEMP
> >> tristate "Intel Core/Core2/Atom temperature sensor"
> >> - depends on X86 && PCI && EXPERIMENTAL
> >> + depends on X86 && EXPERIMENTAL
> >> + depends on PCI || (!MATOM && !GENERIC_CPU && !X86_GENERIC)
> >> help
> >> If you say yes here you get support for the temperature
> >> sensor inside your CPU. Most of the family 6 CPUs
> >
> > Resending my reply to this one as well. Again, apologies if there is
> > duplication.
> >
> > The coretemp code unconditionally calls pci functions, even if PCI is not
> > defined.
> > I am concerned that this might cause problems. It might be better to stick
> > with
> > the more generic dependency instead of trying to optimize too much.
>
> pci.h takes care to define stub inline functions for the !CONFIG_PCI
> case. It seemed largely odd for a driver like this to depend on PCI
> at all, and hence I think it is more transparent to make the needs
> explicit.

Seems to me the dependency should not exist in the first place, then.
Otherwise, the driver would still be disabled for GENERIC_CPU, which isn't
good either.

Are there examples of other drivers which are not defining the PCI dependency
but are conditionally calling pci functions ?

Guenter

  Last update: 2010-09-27 20:11    [W:0.093 / U:0.236 seconds]