    SubjectRe: Remaining BKL users, what to do
    On Saturday 18 September 2010 01:21:41 Petr Vandrovec wrote:
    > I'll try to come up with something for ncpfs.

    Ok, good.

    > Trivial lock replacement will open deadlock possibility when
    > someone reads to page which is also mmaped from the same
    > filesystem (like grep likes to do). BKL with its automated
    > release on sleep helped (or papered over) a lot here.

    Right, I was more or less expecting something like this.
    So I guess this is some AB-BA deadlock with another mutex
    or a call to flush_scheduled_work that is currently done
    under the BKL?

    There is still the possibility of just working around those
    by adding explicit mutex_unlock() calls around those, which
    is what I initially did in the tty subsystem. The better
    long-term approach would obviously be to understand all of
    the data structures that actually need locking and only
    lock the actual accesses, but that may be more work than
    you are willing to spend on it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-09-21 22:05    [W:0.020 / U:36.328 seconds]