    SubjectRe: [RFC] Fix typos
    From
    On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:05:14 -0300 Lucas De Marchi wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'd like to know if it's worth fixing all typos found in comments,
    >> documentation and sometimes code. A first attempt to do that you can
    >> find at http://people.profusion.mobi/~lucas/kernel-typos-fix.patch
    >>
    >> This was done by using the list of common typos available at
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lists_of_common_misspellings
    >>
    >> I already removed some false positives, but there are more. Before
    >> going ahead and verifying all of them, I'd like to know whether this
    >> would be a good patch.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd take most of the corrections in Documentation/, but in general,
    > I don't think that it's a good idea without some careful review.

    Seconded, even the files in Documentation/ (while mostly English text)
    mix code and other technical/non-English details which throw up false
    positives.

    I reviewed the changes to the Documentation/ files and found the
    following false positives

    Documentation/DocBook/kernel-hacking.tmpl

    - * Sun people can't spell worth damn. "compatability" indeed.
    + * Sun people can't spell worth damn. "compatibility" indeed.

    - .asciz "compatability"
    + .asciz "compatibility"

    These misspellings are deliberate, and are in context to the file.

    Documentation/hwmon/via686a

    - Jonathan Teh Soon Yew <j.teh@iname.com>
    + Jonathan Teh Soon Yew <j.the@iname.com>

    teh is a name

    Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt

    <slot #3, id = 0x43, characters = "h is long">
    - <slot #2, id = 0x02, characters = "xtension whic">
    + <slot #2, id = 0x02, characters = "xtension which">
    <slot #1, id = 0x01, characters = "My Big File.E">

    "xtension.whic" is correct, it is part of the string "My Big
    File.Extension which is long" which has been split, the missing 'h' is
    on the previous line.

    Documentation/vm/pagemap.txt

    -the read on an 8-byte boundary (e.g., if you seeked an odd number of bytes
    +the read on an 8-byte boundary (e.g., if you sought an odd number of bytes

    Thought seeked is bad English it is correct in this context where
    you've done a seek operation.

    The following are a couple of correctly found mistakes, but where
    there's problems with the fix.

    Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt

    -to the "Target Device" or if you specified multipled target devices to all of
    +to the "Target Device" or if you specified multiplied target devices to all of

    multipled is a typo for multiple, not multiplied.

    Documentation/scsi/aha152x.txt

    -namely the address space is limited to upto 255 heads, upto 63 sectors
    +namely the address space is limited to up to 255 heads, upto 63 sectors

    What happened here? It fixed the first 'upto' but missed the second 'upto'.

    Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/can/sja1000.txt

    -For futher information, please have a look to the SJA1000 data sheet.
    +For further information, please have a look to the SJA1000 data sheet.

    That can be further corrected to

    +For further information, please have a look at the SJA1000 data sheet.

    Phillip

      Last update: 2010-09-03 04:21    [W:0.046 / U:29.420 seconds]