SubjectRe: help with git bisecting a bug 16376: random - possibly Radeon DRM KMS related - freezes
On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 06:10:24PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 01 September 2010 schrieb Ken Moffat:
> >
> > While you are bisecting, don't believe the version in Makefile. I
> > got similarly freaked out a couple of years ago - if I understood
> > correctly, it's something to do with when a change was created.
> >
> > The key point is that during bisection the apparent version *can*
> > kernel.
>
> I verified the version by running git log after doing the skip. And it was
> just 300 lines after Linus commited 2.6.33-rc2. Can git log be showing
> incorrect results during a bisect?
>
> Thanks,
I suggest you go with the versions that git bisect selects.

I appreciate that it takes you a long time to build and test each
kernel, but hopefully you can reach a stage where the bad commit is
identified.

I think I've seen people report that an old commit was identified
as causing a problem, and I also think that in those cases the
problem was exposed by a later commit.

ken