    SubjectRe: [RFC v3] ext4: Combine barrier requests coming from fsync
    On 2010-08-09, at 15:53, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
    > This patch attempts to coordinate barrier requests being sent in by fsync. Instead of each fsync call initiating its own barrier, there's now a flag to indicate if (0) no barriers are ongoing, (1) we're delaying a short time to collect other fsync threads, or (2) we're actually in-progress on a barrier.
    > So, if someone calls ext4_sync_file and no barriers are in progress, the flag shifts from 0->1 and the thread delays for 500us to see if there are any other threads that are close behind in ext4_sync_file. After that wait, the state transitions to 2 and the barrier is issued. Once that's done, the state goes back to 0 and a completion is signalled.

    You shouldn't use a fixed delay for the thread. 500us _seems_ reasonable, if you have a single HDD. If you have an SSD, or an NVRAM-backed array, then 2000 IOPS is a serious limitation.

    What is done in the JBD2 code is to scale the commit sleep interval based on the average commit time. In fact, the ext4_force_commit-> ...->jbd2_journal_force_commit() call will itself be waiting in the jbd2 code to merge journal commits. It looks like we are duplicating some of this machinery in ext4_sync_file() already.

    It seems like a better idea to have a single piece of code to wait to merge the IOs. For the non-journal ext4 filesystems it should implement the wait for merges explicitly, otherwise it should defer the wait to jbd2.

    Cheers, Andreas

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-08-09 23:21    [W:0.100 / U:11.092 seconds]