SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM,  <> wrote:
> now, android is betting that the apps are all developed specifically for the
> android from scratch, so having a different API is acceptable, even if it
> cuts them off from the rest of the *nix applications. For a phone this is
> not neccessarily an unreasonable stance, but as Android moves into the
> spaces where normal applications are in use (netbooks and tablets), this
> becomes a much shakier stance to take.

"Normal" apps work reasonably well -- they get halted when the screen
turns off, just like they do when my laptop suspends.

Wakelocks are useful for mobile-centric apps that you want to keep
running in the background, wake up and do work when the device is
"asleep", etc.