SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 06:29:27PM -0700, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> 2010/8/5 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:

> >> Our wakelock stats currently have
> >> (name,)count,expire_count,wake_count,active_since,total_time,sleep_time,max_time
> >> and last_change. Not all of these are equally important (total_time is
> >> most important followed by active_since), but you only have count.
> >> Also as discussed before, many wakelocks/suspendblockers are not
> >> associated with a struct device.
> >
> > OK
> >
> > How much of that is used in practice and what for exactly?
>
> count, tells you how many times the wakelock was activated. If a
> wakelock prevented suspend for a long time a large count tells you it
> handled a lot of events while a small count tells you it took a long
> time to process the events, or the wakelock was not released properly.

Got it!

> expire_count, tells you how many times the timeout expired. For the
> input event wakelock in the android kernel (which has a timeout) an
> expire count that matches the count tells you that someone opened an
> input device but is not reading from it (this has happened several
> times).

Ah, I hadn't considered that an power-oblivious application could take
this approach to waste power. I now better understand the purpose of
the timeouts, and have added the corresponding requirement. ;-)

> wake_count, tells you that this is the first wakelock that was
> acquired in the resume path. This is currently less useful than I
> would like on the Nexus One since it is usually "SMD_RPCCALL" which
> does not tell me a lot.

Got it!

> active_since, tells you how long a a still active wakelock has been
> active. If someone activated a wakelock and never released it, it will
> be obvious here.

This one is zero if the wakelock is not currently held, correct?

> total_time, total time the wake lock has been active. This one should
> be obvious.

Got it!

> sleep_time, total time the wake lock has been active when the screen was off.

Hmmm... The statistics for apps are collected in userspace, correct?
If so, this would be collecting the total time that suspend blockers
that were acquired by some driver have been held while the screen was
powered off. So if things were working properly, sleep_time should be
quite small -- with the exception of the suspend blocker that the
userspace daemon was using as a proxy for all of the userspace suspend
blockers.

Or am I confused about this?

> max_time, longest time the wakelock was active uninterrupted. This
> used less often, but the battery on a device was draining fast, but
> the problem went away before looking at the stats this will show if a
> wakelock was active for a long time.

Got it!

Thank you for this additional info, it really shines some light on
what you are trying to do.

One question: are these statistics enabled in production devices, are
is this a debug-only facility?

> > Do you _really_ have to debug the wakelocks in drivers that much?
> >

> Wake locks in drivers sometimes need to be debugged. If the api has no
> accountability, then these problems would take forever to fix.

So there is a separate set of suspend-blocker statistics collected in
userspace, correct? (The kernel probably doesn't need to care about this,
and I don't believe that I need anything more than a "yes" or "no" answer,
but just want to make sure I understand how these statistics are used.)

> >> We need more than that (see above).

> >> What about adding a handle that is passed to all three functions?

The reason you want the handle is to allow the calling code to indicate
which calling points are dealing with the same suspend-blocker entity?

Thaxn, Paul