SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Brian Swetland wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM, <david@lang.hm> wrote:

>>> Obviously not all clocks are stopped (the DSP and codec are powered
>>> and clocked, for example), but yeah we can clock gate and power gate
>>> the cpu and most other peripherals while audio is playing on a number
>>> of ARM SoC designs available today (and the past few years).
>>
>> does this then mean that you have multiple variations of suspend?
>>
>> for example, one where the audio stuff is left powered, and one where it
>> isn't?
>
> While the cpu (and the bulk of the system) is suspended, it's not
> uncommon for some peripherals to continue to operate -- for example a
> cellular radio, gps, low power audio playback, etc. Details will vary
> depending on the SoC and board design. It's not so much a different
> suspend mode (the system is still suspended), just a matter of whether
> a peripheral can operate independently (and if it is lower power for
> it to do so).

this helps, but isn't quite what I was trying to ask.

on a given piece of hardware, does suspend always leave the same
peripherals on, or do you sometimes power more things down than other
times when suspending?

David Lang

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans