SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
From
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM,  <david@lang.hm> wrote:

>>> the playback is able to continue even with all the clocks stopped? that
>>> surprises me. I would hav expected it to be able to sleep while playing
>>> audio, but not do a full suspend.
>>
>> Obviously not all clocks are stopped (the DSP and codec are powered
>> and clocked, for example), but yeah we can clock gate and power gate
>> the cpu and most other peripherals while audio is playing on a number
>> of ARM SoC designs available today (and the past few years).
>
> does this then mean that you have multiple variations of suspend?
>
> for example, one where the audio stuff is left powered, and one where it
> isn't?

While the cpu (and the bulk of the system) is suspended, it's not
uncommon for some peripherals to continue to operate -- for example a
cellular radio, gps, low power audio playback, etc. Details will vary
depending on the SoC and board design. It's not so much a different
suspend mode (the system is still suspended), just a matter of whether
a peripheral can operate independently (and if it is lower power for
it to do so).

Brian