SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
Date
On Thursday, August 05, 2010, david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> Ok, but is there a way to put some of this to sleep without involving a
> >> full suspend?
> >
> > Technically, maybe, but we have no generic infrastructure in the kernel for that.
> > There may be SoC-specific implementations, but nothing general enough.
>
> well, I know that we have specific cases of this (drive spin-down, cpu
> speed, display backlight for a few examples), is it worth trying to define
> a generic way to do this sort of thing? or should it be left as a
> per-device thing (with per-device knobs to control it)

The ability to put specific devices into low-power states in certain
well-defined situations is clearly not sufficient. For one example, usually
you can easily put an Ethernet adapter into a low-power state when the network
cable is detached from it. It is not clear, however, what criteria should be
used for deciding to put that adapter into the low-power state when the cable
is attached to it (and open() has been called).

To mimic suspend you'll have to be able to put _all_ devices into low-power
states and shut down the interrupts that allow the monotonic clock to advance.
That's much more than simple runtime power management of selected devices.

> I thought I had seen discussion on how to define such a generic power
> management interface, and I thought the results had been acceptable.

If you have a pointer to that discussion, I'm interested. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2010-08-05 02:15    [W:0.539 / U:0.804 seconds]