    SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
    Date
    On Wednesday, August 04, 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:56:55PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:

    > > > I _think_ you can use the just-merged /sys/power/wakeup_count mechanism to
    > > > avoid the race (if pm_wakeup_event() is called at 2)).
    > >
    > > Yes, I think that solves the problem. The only question then is whether
    > > it's preferable to use cgroups or suspend fully, which is pretty much up
    > > to the implementation. In other words, is there a reason we're still
    > > having this conversation? :) It'd be good to have some feedback from
    > > Google as to whether this satisfies their functional requirements.
    >
    > The issue with cgroup freezer as currently defined is that it can freeze
    > processes that hold user-level resources (pthread mutexes, SysV semas,
    > ...). If some non-frozen process attempts to acquire that resource, you
    > get a hang. There might be some ways to work around this, for example,
    > Arjan suggests momentarily unfreezing periodically, and I suggested doing
    > the freeze in user-space code, but we don't know if either of these will
    > really do what is required.
    >
    > Also, I believe that Android's use of cgroups would be in addition to
    > suspending fully rather than instead of. Freezing a subset of the
    > applications allows cutting power drain from output-only apps when
    > the screen blanks but where some app such as a download needs to keep
    > the system active. They still would need to suspend once the download
    > completes.

    One can argue that once the download has been completed, the cpuidle framework
    should make the system reduce its energy consumption to the level achievable
    by using suspend.

    However, the problem is the cpuidle framework only deals with CPUs right
    now (at least generally) and there's a problem of the interrupt sources that
    allow the monotonic clock to advance and are deactivated during suspend
    (which allows more energy to be saved, because periodic timers are then
    effectively disabled).

    So, it seems, system suspend is necessary to maximize energy savings
    as long as the cpuidle framework cannot take care of I/O devices and interrupt
    sources in general.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2010-08-04 23:35    [W:3.616 / U:0.068 seconds]