SubjectRe: A question of perf NMI handler
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 10:52 -0400, Don Zickus wrote:
> > Right so I looked up your thing and while that limits the damage in that
> > at some point it will let NMIs pass, it will still consume too many.
> > Meaning that Yinghai will have to potentially press his NMI button
> > several times before it registers.
>
> Ok. Thanks for reviewing. How does it consume to many? I probably don't
> understand how perf is being used in the non-simple scenarios.

Suppose you have 4 counters (AMD, intel-nhm+), when more than 2 overflow
the first will raise the PMI, if the other 2+ overflow before we disable
the PMU it will try to raise 2+ more PMIs, but because hardware only has
a single interrupt pending bit it will at most cause a single extra
interrupt after we finish servicing the first one.

So then the first interrupt will see 3+ overflows, return 3+, and will
thus eat 2+ NMIs, only one of which will be the pending interrupt,
leaving 1+ NMIs from other sources to consume unhandled.

In which case Yinghai will have to press his NMI button 2+ times before
it registers.

That said, that might be a better situation than always consuming
unknown NMIs..

  Last update: 2010-08-04 17:05    [W:1.596 / U:0.016 seconds]