SubjectRe: cxacru: USB ethernet port of CX82310-based ADSL routers?
Date
On Wednesday 01 September 2010 00:15:49 Simon Arlott wrote:
> On 31/08/10 22:13, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have an ADSL router based on Conexant CX82310 chip. This chip provides
> > both ethernet and USB interfaces. The ethernet interface is often
> > internally connected to a 5-port switch (in my case too). The USB
> > interface works as an ethernet card in Windows (using proprietary
> > driver). In Linux, the cxacru driver binds to the device but does not
> > work (no wonder - it's doing firmware things in an attempt to bring an
> > ADSL modem up).
> >
> > I captured a log from Windows (device connect, DHCP and disconnect):
> > http://www.rainbow-software.org/linux_files/cx82310/cx-run-dhcp.log
> >
> > The commands seem to match the enums in cxacru
> > driver (and go to endpoint 1):
> > 0x84, 0x85, 0x90, 0x91, 0x92, 0x99 (unknown)
> > Data goes to/from endpoint 2 as ethernet frames (with something at the
> > beginning).
> >
> > I wonder how to implement support for this device in cxacru driver. Or
> > would be a separate driver better?
>
> Support for this shouldn't really go into the cxacru driver, as that's
> for an USB ATM interface (it depends on usbatm for actual ATM traffic)
> not ethernet.

That's what I was afraid of...

> Unfortunately it doesn't look like a trivial task to auto-detect which
> driver should handle it... your device itself claims to be an "ADSL
> Modem".

In fact, it does not. The idProduct text is from usb.ids file (which is often
incorrect). The device says that it's "USB NET CARD" (iProduct). But I don't
know if Linux can match drivers by iProduct string.

> You'd need to know what type of device it was before loading the
> firmware, which would further complicate auto-detection as some custom
> firmware may be required that attempts to probe the device and then
> accepts new firmware. I have no way of testing this on all the types of
> existing hardware: http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/modems.shtml
>
> Does it happen to work as an ADSL modem too if you load the right
> firmware?
> d275d0fef591e2233654ea591eccb0d15211eb82 cxacru-fw.bin 624192
>
> There should be some flash memory you could try reading, however it
> may not contain anything useful.
>
> See "commands for interaction with the flash memory" in cxacru.c and
> http://simon.arlott.org/pub/cxacru/raw.c

Thanks, I'll try that, although I doubt that it will help.

> One possibility is to rewrite the flash to indicate that it's an
> ethernet class device, or just handle class 255 differently. It would
> be interesting to know what the windows driver does when the device
> class is changed. (I don't know which bytes in the flash memory
> correspond to that value as mine are all 00, hopefully if you can read
> yours you'll have an FF in that area.)
>
> Ignoring 0572:cb01 class 255 in the cxacru probe function would be an
> option... but I don't know how many existing users that would affect.

Maybe ignoring the device if class is 255 and iProduct is "USB NET CARD" (or
does not contain "MODEM"?).

> > lsusb output:
> >
> > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0572:cb01 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
> > GeekADSL Promax Q31 ADSL Modem Device Descriptor:
> > bLength 18
> > bDescriptorType 1
> > bcdUSB 1.10
> > bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
> > bDeviceSubClass 0
> > bDeviceProtocol 0
> > bMaxPacketSize0 64
> > idVendor 0x0572 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
> > idProduct 0xcb01 GeekADSL Promax Q31 ADSL Modem
This is from usb.ids ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(random string entered by someone on the internet)

> > bcdDevice 1.00
> > iManufacturer 1 -
> > iProduct 2 USB NET CARD
This is from the device ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> [...]
> Usage Type Data
> wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
> bInterval 0
> Endpoint Descriptor:
> bLength 7
> bDescriptorType 5
> bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
> bmAttributes 2
> Transfer Type Bulk
> Synch Type None
> Usage Type Data
> wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
> bInterval 0
> Endpoint Descriptor:
> bLength 7
> bDescriptorType 5
> bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
> bmAttributes 2
> Transfer Type Bulk
> Synch Type None
> Usage Type Data
> wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
> bInterval 0
> Endpoint Descriptor:
> bLength 7
> bDescriptorType 5
> bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
> bmAttributes 2
> Transfer Type Bulk
> Synch Type None
> Usage Type Data
> wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
> bInterval 0
> Endpoint Descriptor:
> bLength 7
> bDescriptorType 5
> bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
> bmAttributes 3
> Transfer Type Interrupt
> Synch Type None
> Usage Type Data
> wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
> bInterval 200
> Device Status: 0x0001
> Self Powered
>
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0572:cb00 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. E-Tech
> ADSL Modem v2 Device Descriptor:
> bLength 18
> bDescriptorType 1
> bcdUSB 1.10
> bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
> bDeviceSubClass 0
> bDeviceProtocol 0
> bMaxPacketSize0 64
> idVendor 0x0572 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
> idProduct 0xcb00 E-Tech ADSL Modem v2
> bcdDevice 0.01
> iManufacturer 1 -
> iProduct 2 ADSL USB MODEM
> iSerial 3 08298061
> bNumConfigurations 1
> Configuration Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 2
> wTotalLength 67
> bNumInterfaces 1
> bConfigurationValue 1
> iConfiguration 0
> bmAttributes 0x80
> (Bus Powered)
> MaxPower 500mA
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 4
> bInterfaceNumber 0
> bAlternateSetting 0
> bNumEndpoints 7
> bInterfaceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)

All these devices seem to use bDeviceClass 0 and iProduct "ADSL USB MODEM".

--
Ondrej Zary

  Last update: 2010-09-01 00:51    [W:0.094 / U:0.636 seconds]