    SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
    On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Arve Hj?nnev?g wrote:

    > 2010/8/2 <david@lang.hm>:

    >>> You are describing low power idle modes, not suspend. Most timers stop
    >>> in suspend, so a timer set 10 seconds from now when entering suspend
    >>> will go off 10 seconds after resume so it should have no impact on how
    >>> long you decide to stay in suspend.
    >>
    >> so what is the fundamental difference between deciding to go into low-power
    >> idle modes to wake up back up on a given point in the future and deciding
    >> that you are going to be idle for so long that you may as well suspend until
    >> there is user input?
    >>

    > Low power idle modes are supposed to be transparent. Suspend stops the
    > monotonic clock, ignores ready threads and switches over to a separate
    > set of wakeup events/interrupts. We don't suspend until there is user
    > input, we suspend until there is a wakeup event (user-input, incoming
    > network data/phone-calls, alarms etc..).

    s/user input/wakeup event/ and my question still stands.

    low power modes are not transparent to the user in all cases (if the
    screen backlight dimms/shuts off a user reading something will notice, if
    the system switches to a lower clock speed it can impact user response
    time, etc) The system is making it's best guess as to how to best srve the
    user by sacraficing some capibilities to save power now so that the power
    can be available later.

    as I see it, suspending until a wakeup event (button press, incoming call,
    alarm, etc) is just another datapoint along the same path.

    If the system could not wake itself up to respond to user input, phone
    call, alarm, etc and needed the power button pressed to wake up (or shut
    down to the point where the battery could be removed and reinstalled a
    long time later), I would see things moving into a different category, but
    as long as the system has the ability to wake itself up later (and is
    still consuming power) I see the suspend as being in the same category as
    the other low-power modes (it's just more expensive to go in and out of)

    why should the suspend be put into a different category from the other
    low-power states?

    David Lang

      Last update: 2010-08-04 01:23    [W:3.371 / U:0.204 seconds]